Friday, 28 August 2015

Just maybe drink is the answer!

I have recently been mentoring a lady who felt utterly devastated as the result of losing a major sale that she had been working on for the last six months.

I am not for one moment suggesting that putting in months of concerted effort by you and the team supporting you only to lose is anything less than horrendous, I have been there on more times than I would care to admit - and I am sure I will be there again. But as I get older I am learning not to take it personally.

I used to have a Sales Director who would say what ever happens at the end of a major sales campaign I am going to get drunk. What he meant was actually good advice. If we win I will get drunk to celebrate, if we lose I will drink to drown my sorrows, but either way tomorrow I will wake up with a hangover, feel rough and then move on to the next challenge. What has happened has happened, providing you have given it your very best shot, then make sure you learn from it, but after that do not take it personally. There will be more opportunities to celebrate in the future - just go out and find them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment