Sunday, 2 February 2014

Great salespeople know what they WANT!

I have recently been involved in a major recruitment exercise looking for new salespeople. It has led me to develop my thoughts on what seems to be the missing ingredient in certain people. It is that often intangible trait that is all but impossible to identify at interview. I have called it WANT.

Work ethic. (n) 'A set of values based on the moral virtues of hard work and diligence'.

Anxiety. (n) 'A state of uneasiness and apprehension, as about future uncertainties'. (Despite how good at their job they may be and how confident they are, they still worry about getting the numbers done. I don't think I have ever met a good sales person that did not show this tendency in one form or another - it helps them remain focused).

Need. (n) 'A condition or situation in which something is required or wanted' (Hungry for money, success and recognition)

Tenacious. (adj) Stubborn or persistent.


WANT does not work in isolation, we still need all the other selling skills and outstanding product knowledge - but wow WANT really makes a huge difference - if only we could bottle it!

No comments:

Post a Comment